Hunting Season in Maine
portrait by Geoffrey Vollers
HUNTING SEASON IS HERE IN MAINE…..
Over a 100 years ago, hunting regulations were put in place here in Maine….for two reasons…
The first reason~ to protect wildlife populations from the “free for all” exploitation Europeans placed on all our wildlife. If not, there would be no wildlife to hunt today.
The second reason ~ to henceforth control human behavior toward our wildlife in the form of limited hunting times and numbers to be hunted.
The result ~ Real Maine subsistence hunters are able to hunt today.
Who do you ask are the real Maine hunters? And I have met many of them….. They are the hunters who RESPECT the animal they are killing, they kill them HUMANELY, they EAT THEIR BODIES …no waste.
SO WHAT ARE THE HUNTING REGULATIONS REGARDING COYOTE?
* Year round killing, with no restrictions regarding the number an individual can kill.
* Kill them any way you want.
* Killing during the night year round with the exception of a short time from September through December.
* Coyote killing games for fun and sport are permitted.
* The use of Coyote’s fellow domestic dogs to chase them down and kill them is permitted.
Are these hunting regulations …. or…. are they permission for exploitation? Why do we allow this abuse?
LOOK INTO THE SEARCHING EYES OF THIS PORTRAIT OF COYOTE asking, “WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US?”